Have y’all seen this video? It’s been flying around Facebook for a few days and I love it.
Why do I love it? It’s not because it’s a weight loss “success story” because I’ve seen far too many of those that don’t have happy endings (all the weight is gained back PLUS some). Weight loss isn’t necessary for improved health and happiness either.
What I love about this success story is:
- He didn’t follow some wacky diet or buy any bogus weight loss supplements. He simply reduced his sugar intake and increased his intake of fruits and veggies (something everyone should do regardless of body size).
- He did yoga! One of the best things about yoga is that it creates “body awareness” and “attunement” – two things that are key to mindful eating and mindful living.
- He set goals. Although he didn’t go into detail about it in this video, he clearly set goals with his yoga program and documented his progress along the way.
- He was determined to stick with the changes he made. He believed that he could do it and by God, he was going to do it. That’s the kind of thinking that leads to REAL lifestyle change.
- He demonstrates positive self-care. He wasn’t shamed into doing this – he wanted to do it.
You don’t have to lose weight to be happy or healthy, but cultivating a desire to take care of yourself, both mentally and physically, is essential for optimal health and wellness. Setting goals is the next step, whether it’s meditating for 5 minutes everyday or training for a 5K. What goals can you set today?